Thursday, November 11, 2010

Small Town USA...uh...Turkey

I love living on base here.  It feels like 1950's Small Town USA. 

Everything is within walking distance, so Peter and I can walk to the post office and say hello to neighbors along the way.  When we go to the grocery store, we can count on bumping into lots of familiar faces.  And it feels safe, even when Dan works long, late days.
The community is so small and everyone is so connected with each other.  It's so easy in a bigger city to just forget about your neighbors.  But here, everyone looks out for one another, like family.  When we first arrived here and barely had anything but a couple of suitcases, friendly neighbors who had only known us for hours were giving us their pots and pans, toys for Peter, shower curtains and towels.  I even witnessed someone unplug one of their phones out of their wall and hand it to us to borrow.

And the generosity keeps on coming.  When Peter needs new clothes, a generous soul delivers a whole Rubbermaid tote of hand-me-downs from her boys.  When a family on base is suffering, people line up to offer prayers and deliver warm meals.  I feel so blessed to be able to live in this kind of community.  I pray that this beautiful example of Christ-like love and generosity can stretch my heart to learn to give so freely without hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment